Thursday, February 23, 2012

Potty Training...

Yep, the time has come! After a recent trip to Hawaii with the hubby, and the "he is SO ready"comments from the family that watched him while we were away, we have finally decided to take the plunge (something that I have been dreading for some time now.)  I have started to get Connor ready for potty training with the same talk every night... "Guess what happens on Thursday?  Connor will go potty on the big boy potty!"  He will agree with me most of the time, but then in the same sentence say " I'm not big enough yet."  This should be interesting...

Fast forward to Thursday -  Things started out ROUGH. Tears, refusing to put on underwear, and adamantly refusing to use the potty.  He did agree to throw his diapers away, but not without hesitation.  We had two accidents within the first 20 minutes, and at 8:32 a.m. on Thursday morning, I was just about ready to throw in the towel. But then...

He got it!  He agreed to put on the underwear, and actually peed on the potty!  I was so proud of our little guy.  Let's be honest, a major motivating factor was that he would receive "candy" if he even attempted to go pee-pee on the potty and the fact that I was letting him drink juice all day long -- But I was fine with it ( at least for the short term.)

  Something just seemed to click and now he continues to surprise us everyday with his "no big deal" demeanor with it.  He even went #2 on day 1 and by day 3, we didn't have a single accident (though we have had a few since.)

We have now been at this for a week, and we have seen major progress ( I hope I am not jinxing it.) I have to say that we were not really looking forward to this "milestone" but our boy continues to blow us away with how he continues to wake up from his naps and in the mornings with a dry diaper "Mommy, I kept my undies dry!"   Kids are capable of SO much more then we give them credit for. 

Don't get me wrong, there have been moments that I miss throwing a diaper on him, and just going,  but overall, it's been a LOT easier then we had anticipated. 

WAY TO GO, BIG BOY.  Keep doin' what you're doin'!
 Adios Diapers, see you.. Never again!
 Thank heaven for Skittles - We went through an entire bag on the first day ( but have slowed down since)
 I was pulling out all the stops to get him excited to "sit" on the potty - ipad and fireman boots included!

Nothin' cuter - But he looks so grown up.
Taken care of biz
Yippe, I'm a big boy now!

1 comment: